Call The Document People at 800-515-0837 graphic

We wrap up this week’s series on unusual questions and answers about Divorces and Legal Separation with a final question about “Abandonment of Spouse” when filing for divorce. We hope you will find this interesting when filing for divorce in Woodland Hills, Los Angeles or anywhere in California.


Q: A friend told me that if I file an “Abandonment of Spouse” I don’t need to serve my husband with divorce papers. Is this true? Is there such a document?
A: You have to serve the other party in divorce proceedings (or at least constructively serve them, if you can’t locate the other party). California is a no-fault divorce State, so no grounds (such as abandonment) are necessary. I think what your friend may be referring to is that sometimes benefits and entitlements can be affected by marriage or lack thereof. But this has no effect on a divorce.
The information contained in this blog – including information of a legal nature – is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.
The Document People is a network of independently owned stores that share a common purpose: helping customers represent themselves. We are looking forward to offering you divorce filing assistance. We serve Woodland Hills, Reseda, The San Fernando Valley, Orange County and San Diego County.