Call The Document People at 800-515-0837 graphic

We would like to remind our readers and the World that at selected The Document People’s stores we do offer QDROs.
But wait, what is a QDRO? Well, it stands for Qualified Domestic Relations Order and is used in divorce services. Pensions, retirement plans, and 401ks are among the many assets that married couples can own and if a division of those assets is ordered in a Divorce case, then it must be done through a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
There are a few steps to follow in accomplishing the division of the plan(s) through a QDRO.
Step 1. To initiate the process the party who is requesting the division must file with the court a joinder of employee benefit plan which is to join the pension with the case. It’s important to realize that the QDRO is a process that is linked to an already open divorce case with the court. After the filing of the joinder this document must be served on the employer.
Step 2. The party who initiates the process needs to obtain a sample QDRO or requirement list from the company where the plan is.
Step 3. Once the QDRO is prepared it must be sent to the company for its approval before the parties can sign it. This is something that happens outside the court procedures per se, but if it’s not approved by the company where the plan is, then the parties cannot proceed.
Step 4. Once the company approves the QDRO and the parties sign, this document is sent to the court for filing.
Step 5. Companies usually require a certified copy of the QDRO, and will then split the plan accordingly.
The Document People is a network of legal document assistants, paralegals and notaries. We offer divorce services and QDROs in Los Angeles County, Orange County and San Diego County at the We the People Woodland Hills, We the People Santa Monica, San Fernando, We the People Glendale and at The Document People Torrance, Anaheim and Oceanside stores.

The information contained in this blog – including information of a legal nature – is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.